Ghost Town: Lower Goshen, Utah County

cruiseroutfit

Moderator & Supporting Member
Supporter
Site: Lower Goshen
Alternate Names: "Old Goshen" or simply "Goshen" before the site was moved to present day Goshen
Name Origin: Named after Goshen, Connecticut the birthplace of town founder Phineas Cook
County, State: Utah County, Utah
Years of Occupation: 1860-1869
Status of Site: Closed (Private Property)
Classification: Class 1 - Barren Town
Type: Agriculture
Remnants: Street layout visible from air, foundations under ground
GPS Coordinate: N 39.998894° W 111.932403°
NRHP Reference#: N/A
Date of Last Visit: March 2nd, 2014

Settled in 1860 by Phineas Cook. Phineas had originally settled in nearby Spanish Fork but had discovered the farming/ranching opportunities in nearby Goshen Valley after chasing down wander stock. A land dispute led to lack of land title to his Spanish Fork Property and he became one of the first non-naive dwellers in the Goshen Valley, settling in several different locations (including Sodom, Sandtown and Mechanicsville) before Lower Goshen. After nearly ten years of attempted farming, Lower Goshen was abandoned due to poor soil conditions and flooding. Settlers made their final move to the present day Goshen (also called Newtown) site in 1869.

goshen_valley.JPG
Goshen Vally Townsites (Source: Lower Goshen: Archaeology of a Mormon Pioneer Town)

The site today is inaccessible to the public and lies on and surrounded by private property. Aerial photographs show light traces of the towns original street layout and BYU archaeologists have surveyed the site to contain 121 home sites on 20-25 occupied city blocks, each measuring 400 feet square.

lower_goshen_streets.JPG
Lower Goshen Aerial View (Google Earth)

lower_goshen_map.JPG
Lower Goshen Map (Source: Lower Goshen: Archaeology of a Mormon Pioneer Town)

Further Reading:
Lower Goshen: Archaeology of a Mormon Pioneer Town
http://www.onlineutah.com/goshenhistory.shtml

Additional Pictures:

Lower_Goshen_Site (Small).JPG
Lower Goshen Site as viewed from Redwood Road

IMG_5440 (Small).JPG
Goshen Pioneer Cemetery Marker

IMG_5441 (Small).JPG
Actual Grave-sites are ~300 Yards Behind the Marker

Last edited:

Thardy

I was just given a centennial Goshen history (1857-1957) book written by my wife's great grandmother (one of the original settlers). I don't think it was actually ever published. I will add it to my list of things to read and hopefully I can add some info to the 4 early Goshen settlements.

cruiseroutfit

Moderator & Supporting Member
Supporter
I was just given a centennial Goshen history (1857-1957) book written by my wife's great grandmother (one of the original settlers). I don't think it was actually ever published. I will add it to my list of things to read and hopefully I can add some info to the 4 early Goshen settlements.

Please do, that sounds like a neat resource. Add anything you see fit!

Ed Spreen

I must have missed that years ago. I'd like to go one day. Interesting information you've got there. Is there any nearby state route or streets I'll find?

Back