County, State: White Pine county, NV
Years of Occupation: 1880 - 1957
Status of Site: Open
Classification: Class 2
Type: Mining
Remnants: Structures, equipment, mining relics
GPS Coordinate: 40.2317 114.0871
Date of Last Visit: August, 2015

According to the little I have found online, Ferber was active from 1880 through 1918, then had a couple sporadic bouts of small production between then and 1957. And nothing since then. With copper, silver, lead and iron ores being mined in the area. The hillsides are dotted with prospects, old equipment parts, cabins, frames and dump piles etc.

The area is open to exploration, I’ve not been up every single track and seen every structure – there is quite a bit of “stuff”, but it’s scattered.

20150853W.jpg

20150858W.jpg

20150856W.jpg

201508.jpg

The first time I stumbled across the site pictured above, about 30 years ago, it was in a lot better shape. The old Pontiac, used to have blocks on the pedals, for a very short person to drive it. And when I checked the glovebox, I found a cigar box with a rock collection in it. I left that stuff there, back in the '80s, but of course it's long gone now. But I figured that there may have been a child driving that car around out there? To need blocks on the pedals and to carry a rock collection around? Who knows...

Directions to Get There:

From Wendover, head south on 93 approx. 28 miles to signed turn for Ibapah, turn left onto Ibapah road. Proceed approx. 19 miles to signed turn for Gold Hill, continue another 1 mile to unsigned dirt road on right. Turn right and head west up canyon approx. 6 miles to site.

ROKTAXI

What a great place to explore?!!

What's that last picture? Can't figure out whether it was self propelled or dragged behind some tractor. Definitely been hacked up.

DAA

Critter Whisperer
Supporter
Marty, it had tracks, so self-propelled I'd guess. A loader of some sort would be my guess.

- DAA

cruiseroutfit

Moderator & Supporting Member
Supporter
Very cool Dave, thanks for sharing!

I've got a White Pine County ghost town book I picked up at a gas station in Ely. I'll have to dig it out and see if they have much documented info on the Ferber area.

Back