Relic Run 2019: Winding Through the Winds - 8/1 - 8/4

2wheelbob

Supporting Member
Supporter
OSC Alumni
Relic Run 2019 - "Winding through the Winds"

When - August 1st to the 4th, 2019
Where - South Pass, Wyoming (near Lander)
What - The annual gathering of the Relic Runners/Retro Ramblers

Itinerary - We will follow the usual protocol and meet up for a quick drivers meeting on Thursday evening at Louis Lake Road rest area off of Rt. 28 between Farson, WY and Lander, WY (time will be set later). We will then proceed north along Louis Lake Rd.(FR300) up to the weekends campspot. Once there, we will set up camp and share the evening with a group campfire to be accompanied by 1970's era (or older) hors d'oeuvres (each participant is asked to bring something to share with the group). Friday will consist of a trip to South Pass State Historical site for a tour of the restored mining town and a tour of the Carissa Gold Mine. We will plan on having lunch there as time permits. After the gold mine tour, we will proceed back to camp for the pot luck dinner, the gear 'show and shine' and more campfire fun. Saturday will offer participants several options - 1. Dave Tyrell will lead a trail ride along FR352 (from north to south). This is a moderate 4WD road with several small creek crossings and some amazing views. There are a few tight spots in the trees and some rocky sections. Nothing too difficult but some light scratches and wet tires should be expected. Option 2 - For those who wish a more mellow day, there are two lakes that will provide a chance for some canoeing, some trout fishing, and swimming. Option 3 - For the heartiest of folks, there is a lake at the end of the trail that we will be camping along that provides a chance to combine four wheeling and hiking but will get you to a beautiful mountain lake for some remote fishing. Saturday Night's meal will be provided by the Expedition Utah Team! Afterwards, the annual Daisy Red Rider BB gun competition will happen and a new champion will be crowned!! After the shoot, we will have a group vote and a VHS movie will be chosen and watched around the campfire. Sunday - we will disperse and head on our way. I strongly encourage folks to continue north along Louis Lake road to Sinks Canyon and plan a stop to look at the trout at the Sinks. It's free and is a pretty neat sight. From there, it's a quick ride into Lander, Wyoming for gas/food/etc.

What to bring - A vehicle older than 1989, camping gear older than 1989, and period correct clothing is strongly encouraged as well. Please no technology newer than 1989 (no laptops, iPads, cell phones (unless they are the giant suitcase style ones), or digital cameras). Each participant group (vehicle/family) is asked to bring an hors d'oeuvres item to share on Thursday, a dish to share on Friday for the evening potluck, a VHS tape of your favorite movie from before 1990 (can't guarantee it'll get played but will be open to a group vote), any water craft you might want to use in the Lake, fishing gear (Louis Lake and Fidddlers Lake are the closest), warm clothes as we will be in the mountains and it can get chilly at night. Bear Spray or Pepper Spray is strongly encouraged, especially for this who might want to venture away from the group or hike. Although 'bear spray' or 'pepper spray' wasn't technically available in 1989, I did find an old article written in 1963 that speaks of the concept of bear spray so I consider that good. As for firearms…some people prefer to carry a pistol in place of or in addition to the bear spray. I have no problem with that but ask that the utmost in firearms safety be observed at all times as there will be kids and dogs around. Also, the only shooting in camp will be the BB gun meet on Saturday.

Notes - We will be camping in Grizzly Bear country so extra precautions will need to be taken. Folks will need to keep a clean and tidy campsite with no foods left out or disposed of in the woods. All coolers will need to be kept in vehicles at night and cooking in tents is STRONGLY discouraged. I will try to have a port-potty or two at the camp site but that hasn't been confirmed yet. More details will follow as we get closer but this should set the general idea of the trip. Wyoming fishing licenses will need to be purchased if you wish to fish (daily licenses can be purchased in Rock Springs or Lander. If you bring a water craft (canoe, kayak, etc) you will need to have a Wyoming AIS sticker and will be subject to inspection at the state lines and other places as decided by Game and Fish Department. Dogs are always welcome provided they are well behaved and kept in control at all times.

More info will follow as the planning takes place but this should give you a good idea of what to expect. Feel free to email me with any questions or concerns at the following address: broncobob@tctwest.net

Last edited by a moderator:

2wheelbob

Supporting Member
Supporter
OSC Alumni
Just got confirmation of reservations for the Carissa mine tour at South Pass Historical park for friday the 2nd. There is a small fee ($5 for non-residents and $3 for Wyoming residents, kids under 18 are free). They will probably break us into smaller groups to facilitate the tours. I'm excited for this!!! :)

2wheelbob

Supporting Member
Supporter
OSC Alumni
Have you had success fishing there before?
We fished Louis Lake last September when we did the pre run. Using worms I got a few bites but none landed. I did manage to tease a few nice Brookies out of the Popo Agie river. Also, wait till you see the 8-10lb'ers in Sinks Canyon!! Unfortunately, the big boys are in a 'no fish' zone. :(

2wheelbob

Supporting Member
Supporter
OSC Alumni
Relic Run 2019 is just three weeks away!!!! If you haven't signed up, better get after it!! For those who have signed up, thank you! I have been busy getting stuff lined up for the trip. Starting to think about the saturday meal….any ideas?

Reactions: bub

2wheelbob

Supporting Member
Supporter
OSC Alumni
I could track something down. My dad built one back in the mid-70's out of a 55 gallon drum and some expanded steel. I could fire up the plasma cutter and wire feed and replicate it….just need to find a clean 55 gallon DOT drum….

74IronPig

OSC Alumni
I could track something down. My dad built one back in the mid-70's out of a 55 gallon drum and some expanded steel. I could fire up the plasma cutter and wire feed and replicate it….just need to find a clean 55 gallon DOT drum….
Will a plastic drum work? lol

2wheelbob

Supporting Member
Supporter
OSC Alumni
RELIC RUN UPDATE!!!!!
Just got confirmation that we will have some awesome PRIZES this year to give away, compliments of the great folks at 4WHEEL PARTS and Dirtstar1. We will have a bunch of categories this year so wear your period correct clothes, bring your relic gear, drive your vintage 4wd rig, practice up for the BB gun shoot, get creative with the Thursday night hors d'oeuvres, sharpen your hooks for the fishing, basically…get in the spirit of the old days!!!

Dirtstar1

Supporting Member
Supporter
RELIC RUN UPDATE!!!!!
Just got confirmation that we will have some awesome PRIZES this year to give away, compliments of the great folks at 4WHEEL PARTS and Dirtstar1. We will have a bunch of categories this year so wear your period correct clothes, bring your relic gear, drive your vintage 4wd rig, practice up for the BB gun shoot, get creative with the Thursday night hors d'oeuvres, sharpen your hooks for the fishing, basically…get in the spirit of the old days!!!
Now that’s what I like to hear! Some good old fashioned competition! Trust me, the prizes are all things we need or can use so no one will be disappointed.

Back