• Image75.jpg
    Image75.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 590
  • Image78.jpg
    Image78.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 602

Old Jeeper

EU Contributor
Indeed. I vaguely remember climbing the stairs up to the second floor of the boarding house. Last I heard it has totally collapsed.

cruiseroutfit

Moderator & Supporting Member
Supporter
Some neat historical pics of Sego in 1920:

Sego_1920.jpg

10411257_999315146764504_2258194117630914211_n.jpg

FB_IMG_1575069098887.jpg

And a modern shot from roughly the same angle

IMG_2568 (Small).JPG

Then & now:

IMG_20191129_160050-1173x1173.jpg

Last edited:

cruiseroutfit

Supporter
I was thinking the same thing. Next time I'm back I'll have to look closer for the other foundations

We scoured for foundations of the other building (to the right of the general store that still stands) and found nothing. Granted there was snow on the ground but it's been a long time. We actually bumped into the caretaker of the campground in Thompson while we were poking around the buildings there. His parents live in Thompson and he recently moved there... They are rather new to town (his father grew up in Green River) but he's getting to know everybody and everything and according to him many of the buildings in Thompson came from Sego after it's demise. Anything that was easy enough and worth moving... was. It is very probable based on the ages of buildings and similar occurrences in other ghost towns. I'd still like to get back there for a little more boots on the ground time when the snow melts off. Perhaps bring my metal detector and chat with my campground contact about arranging some meets with local insiders that would have some neat history to share.

2wheelbob

Supporting Member
Supporter
OSC Alumni
Looks like we didn't go far enough up the road :( We drove as far as the cemetery on our return from the Relic Run this year. We will definitely be back in 2015 with the camper and stay a day or so to explore. Thanks for the write up and pictures!!

LiveRust

many of the buildings in Thompson came from Sego after it's demise. Anything that was easy enough and worth moving... was.

yea, when Clarion went Ghostal, my uncle hauled the family home to Gunnison. I think it was pretty common

Last edited by a moderator:

LFNTMS

Supporting Member
Supporter
Awesome pics! Would love to join you and get some local stories on that return trip if scheduling permits.

Incredible and inspiring!

So this is officially on my hit list for 2017! I can't wait to get out there! Hillary and I did a fun trip right around there in 2016 and never even thought about heading that direction! This is going to make for a great trip!

bub

Staff member
Supporter
Great info here.

My Mom lived in Thompson Springs for several years. The stories they told of Sego were quite a bit more colorful, and questionable. Tails of Butch Cassidy and the gang liking to hang in Sego due to it's remoteness. And the coal was supposedly so rich and clean that the rail Barron's kept it a secret for themselves. Probably tall tales but fun anyway.
I was lucky enough to visit the second floor of the boarding house. There used to be wall paper on quite a few walls.

The other pictographs are real as far as I know. My mom called them ancient alien's. There is also an old pizza oven up towards the gate in barrier canyon.

Last edited:

cruiseroutfit

Supporter
Great info here.

My Mom lived in Thompson Springs for several years. The stories they told of Sego were quite a bit more colorful, and questionable. Tails of Butch Cassidy and the gang liking to hang in Sego due to it's remoteness. And the coal was supposedly so rich and clean that the rail Barron's kept it a secret for themselves. Probably tall tales but fun anyway.
I was lucky enough to visit the second floor of the boarding house. There used to be wall paper on quite a few walls.

The other pictographs are real as far as I know. My mom called them ancient alien's. There is also an old pizza oven up towards the gate in barrier canyon.

:cool:

Back