Ghost town map

Kevin B.

EU Contributor
What a kickass idea. I love that it links back to the ExpUt thread.

Would it be cool to add all the ghost towns that don't have entries, maybe in another color?

IM1RU

EU Contributor & Supporting Member
Supporter
Hey man, that's cool. Seems like there are many more to be added to that. Could be very useful for planning an out to a particular region. Nice Work.

outback97

OSC Alumni
Yeah, I'm definitely open to suggestions. The ones on there now are limited to ones that have a writeup on ExpUT and have coordinates so that I could put them on the map.

Lots more we could do with it for sure!

McFate

OSC Alumni
I've been thinking about doing something like this. But while I was just thinking about it, you actually did it. Great work!

I think it would be kinda awesome if we had a sort of ghost town wiki here. Something where folks could update the current status of the area or add links to trip reports, photos, etc. More article-based like Wikipedia, less forum posty. Though, it does seem like there's a bit of overlap there with the current writeups in the forum, so I'm not sure I've got a strong argument for that right now.

I wouldn't mind helping out with something like this, but my web-fu is pretty weak these days. (If we ever wanted an ExpUT iOS app for some reason though, I could totally help out there.)

cruiseroutfit

Moderator & Supporting Member
Supporter
...I think it would be kinda awesome if we had a sort of ghost town wiki here. Something where folks could update the current status of the area or add links to trip reports, photos, etc. More article-based like Wikipedia, less forum posty. Though, it does seem like there's a bit of overlap there with the current writeups in the forum, so I'm not sure I've got a strong argument for that right now.

I wouldn't mind helping out with something like this, but my web-fu is pretty weak these days. (If we ever wanted an ExpUT iOS app for some reason though, I could totally help out there.)

I wouldn't mind moving the ghost town submissions from the forum to a wiki style if we could integrate it nicely on the landing page:
http://www.expeditionutah.com/ghosttowns/

outback97

OSC Alumni
Glad you guys like it, it's really not much yet, but could be a good resource I think.

So what would be the most efficient way to get coordinates for the ghost towns / sites on the list that don't have them yet?

cruiseroutfit

Supporter
Glad you guys like it, it's really not much yet, but could be a good resource I think.

So what would be the most efficient way to get coordinates for the ghost towns / sites on the list that don't have them yet?

Great question. I'm sure we can come up with most of them. What is best for you? In a spreadsheet?

McFate

OSC Alumni
Would a .kmz file work? Here's a handful of towns not on the map yet, with their coordinates and links to the ExpUT entries.

Attachments

• Utah Ghost Towns.kmz
    1.3 KB · Views: 3,004

outback97

OSC Alumni
Added the following to the map:

Deer Lodge
Ferber
Fay
Ibex
Gold Springs Jennie Mine
Modena
Revenue Mine
Silver Reef
Desert Research Ex St
Mercury Springs
Newhouse
Copper Globe
Metropolis, NV
Colton
Westwater
Shunesburg
Kiz
Seven Troughs, NV
Bauer
Tungstonia

Last edited:

cruiseroutfit

Supporter
:cool:

I'm trying to sort some time to nail down some of the missing locations but I want to to say thank you for all your work thus far!

Back